Purpose of role:
The Marketing Manager role is a central role in the Commercial Development and Engagement department, with responsibility for managing the development and delivery of a planned and coordinated approach to marketing activities. Underpinning each aspect of the role is the primary aim of positively presenting PMI and its range of products and services to its members, customers, partners and the wider pensions industry.
Critical success factors:
The incumbent will be an experienced marketing professional, who has a successful track record in the development and execution of multi-disciplinary marketing and communications activities, that are aligned with the strategic objectives of the organisation.
The roleholder will be a team-player, with a flexible and ‘can-do’ attitude to make things happen. In addition, the roleholder will have strong organisational skills and initiative, with a proven ability to independently drive projects to completion, giving due attention to detail and deadlines.
- Contribute to, and be responsible for the delivery of the marketing strategy, working with the Director of Commerce and Engagement and colleagues within the department to implement further developments as required.
- Take lead responsibility for marketing activities to support the work of the Commercial Development and Membership department.
- Promote the PMI brand, policies and core values through a coordinated and cohesive programme of marketing, digital content, direct marketing communications, events and PR activities.
- Promote and expand PMI membership and lifelong learning uptake, including working with industry, various interest groups, committees and internal teams to deliver specific campaigns on membership and qualifications.
- Deliver all marketing activity within agreed budgets and within agreed sustainability criteria.
- Promote and expand PMI services through a range of marketing activities, including:
- Advertising opportunities and recruitment on the PMI website/journal;
- Development of PMI TV (or equivalent) interviews with a view to maximising the profile of this service and ensuring it remains a valuable member and stakeholder benefit;
- Actively identify marketing and promotion opportunities, particularly in geographical and sectoral areas where PMI does not have a significant presence;
- Managing all aspects of production, receipt and distribution of marketing material;
- Coordinating market research to identify interest and uptake for current and future membership services;
- Working with the PR Agency to achieve frequent, timely and positive media coverage of the PMI.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key contacts, PR agency staff, subject matter experts, industry and national media journalists, relevant civil servants, other professional and trade associations, bloggers, social media contributors, etc.
- Work with Insight Partners to ensure mutual value and benefits.
- Contribute to the development, maintainance and delivery of an annual plan for events that ensures a geographical and sectorial balance, a range of sizes (from workshop to conference) and identify suitable topics.
- Manage current and new events from proposal right up to delivery, to ensure excellent membership service and quality delivery. This is likely to include working closely with the wider team and to:
- Research the market for potential gaps and opportunities, maximising the profile and revenue generation of current and new future events;
- Ensure events are delivered within budget, on time and to an excellent standard, meeting (hopefully exceeding) delegates’, sponsors’, speakers’ and suppliers’ expectations and achieving internal KPIs;
- Set, communicate and maintain project timelines and priorities;
- Develop contacts to secure appropriate and good-value venue hire; and liaise with external suppliers including venues, caterers, speakers etc.;
- Organising appropriate sponsorship and co-badging of external events;
- Working with our graphic designer to develop promotional materials;
- Update website content for conferences, events and seminars;
- Implement systems with the administrator to manage invitations, sign up, guest list, discounts etc.;
Education & Qualifications:
- Educated to degree level, likely to be in Marketing or Communications and/or relevant qualification
- Likely to be a member of a relevant professional body
Knowledge & Experience
- Proven experience in marketing and events management
- Ability to deliver marketing strategies and identifying new areas of growth/income/exposure
- Demonstrable experience of running events from conception to successful completion
- People development, management and motivation
- Appreciation of the nature of accountability, ethics, targets and outcomes
- Pensions knowledge
- Existing industry network and the ability to leverage and expand this network
- Familiarity with membership databases
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written and ability to converse with diverse audiences
- Excellent Marketing skills: understands requirements of the organisation and uses creative processes to deliver effective marketing and communications programmes
- Effective problem solving skills: can find imaginative and practical solutions and make well-considered decisions
- Well-developed delivery skills
- Strong interpersonal skills: Ability to engage and quickly build effective relationships with stakeholders
- Professionalism: has a professional attitude and presentation and demonstrates honesty and integrity
- Leadership: committed to treating people fairly, and has a focus on personal development of self and others
- Coach: ability to coach and motivate team members
- Client focus: deep interest in the customer and customer journey, with understanding of the marketing opportunities to maximise impact
- Stakeholder management: ability to build and maintain strong internal and external relationships
- Project management: strong project management skills across a variety of deliverables, ability to own a project completely and to work under own initiative
- Planning and organising: ability to work across numerous projects and prioritise work streams and ability to organise own and team’s priorities and workload
- Flexibility: is adaptable to change and able to tailor approach
- Resilience: is persistent in face of obstacles and remains calm and measured when under pressure
- Proactive: is self-motivated, with high levels of energy, enthusiasm and drive, with demonstrable initiative, self-sufficiency and motivation
- Collaboration: is a team player who builds and strengthens collaborative relationships internally and externally
Key Relationships with:
- Director of Commerce and Engagement
- Business Development and Account Managers, Project Manager and Membership Development Manager
- Direct reports – Marketing Executive, Producer and Operations Support, and Events and Marketing Coordinator
Compensation and details of employment:
- Basic salary £40,000
- Normally based in City of London but home-working during pandemic restrictions
- Hours 35 hours per week plus additional hours as required to fulfil the duties of the role
- 27 days holiday a year plus bank holidays
- Pension, Life Assurance (3x salary) and Private Health Insurance Cover
25 June 2021 at 5pm