This qualification is designed to meet the needs of those who are advising or implementing the requirements of automatic enrolment. It provides an overview of employer requirements and obligations associated with automatic enrolment and an understanding of its practical effective implementation.
** THIS QUALIFICATION WILL BE WITHDRAWN IN 2018 **
Under the Pensions Act 2008, the Automatic Enrolment requirements now apply to every employer in the UK and enrolment/re-enrolment procedures are “business as usual”. Following due consideration, the PMI has decided it is appropriate to withdraw the standalone Certificate in Pensions Automatic Enrolment as Automatic Enrolment is covered as appropriate within the PMI Advanced Diploma and related Diploma level qualifications. An overview is also included within the Retirement Provision Certificate and it is covered in the Certificate in DC Governance.
The examination sitting on Wednesday 14 March 2018 will be followed by an additional and final sitting on Wednesday 16 May 2018. Both of these will be based on the 2017/18 syllabus and study manual (and the study manual will not be updated further). We are planning to offer revision courses for both examinations (subject to demand) and details will be available on the website.
In addition, the Entry Closing date for the March examination will be extended from Friday 12 January 2018 to Wednesday 31 January 2018 and the entry closing date for the May examination will be Wednesday 18 April 2018.
NB: There will be no further opportunities to sit/re-sit after the May examination.
The syllabus and the examinations from June 2017 are based on the law and practice of the United Kingdom as it existed from 6 April 2017.
An updated 2017/18 edition of the syllabus and study manual is available in the online learning programme. This edition will be appropriate for the 2018 examinations.
Candidates taking the examination will be expected to have a knowledge and understanding of all the syllabus items. The syllabus areas are grouped under eleven main headings.
The candidate must be able to:
1. Understand the background of automatic enrolment
2. Identify the sources of information on automatic enrolment
3. Identify the different categories of worker for automatic enrolment purposes
4. Understand the concept of staging dates for automatic enrolment
5. Understand the concept of postponement
6. Analyse the types and key characteristics of automatic enrolment and other qualifying schemes
7. Explain the administrative processes involved in automatic enrolment
8. Understand the concepts of opting out and opting in
9. Analyse the safeguards to protect individuals
10. Understand the role of Government Departments and Regulatory Bodies in connection with automatic enrolment
11. Understand the new decumulation regime
Click here to download a copy of the syllabus for the examinations from June 2017.
How will it benefit me?
- You will obtain a nationally recognised qualification
- You will gain access to high quality study material and tutorial support
- You will receive a certificate upon completion
- Those who pass the qualification can join the PMI Automatic Enrolment Accredited CPD Programme.
What areas does the qualification and examination cover?
The qualification comprises a single compulsory module.
How is it assessed?
The qualification is assessed by a one hour examination in the form of 60 question multiple choice exam paper designed to test knowledge right across the syllabus.
It is a compulsory requirement to be a member of the PMI to sit the examination. Candidates (who are not already PMI Members) will become Affiliate Members of the PMI. Candidates who successfully complete the qualification will be entitled to apply to become Certificate Members of PMI and use the designation CertPMI after their name.
Please click here for more information about PMI membership.
The PMI is committed to providing a customer focused and professional service to all its approved assessment centres, students and candidates taking any of our qualifications. Click on the links below for details of all of our committments to you.
Want to contribute to PMI qualifications?
The PMI relies on the contribution of individuals working in the industry. Without the involvement of these people it would be very difficult for our qualifications to be what they are.
If you would like to get involved visit Support for the Institute's Qualification Activities
If you know what you would like to get involved with visit Register Your Interest
To discuss the qualification further contact the Qualifications Team at email@example.com or on 020 7392 7400.