10th PMI Student Essay Competition
Entrants should write an essay between 700-1500 words on the following topic:
Is Pensions administration a suitable sector for the deployment of artificial intelligence?
The deadline to register is Friday 29 September 2023 at 5.00pm. Please register here
Essay entries should be submitted to the membership team by 12.00pm on Friday 27 October 2023. Entrants will be notified of the results on Thursday 30 November 2023.
Please read the entry requirements for full details, including essay writing guidelines and judges tips.
- The winning essay will be published in the Pensions Aspects magazine and Professional Pensions
- Runner-up essays will be published on the Pensions Aspects
Guidelines and judging criteria
Entries will be judged a panel of experts including:
- Tim Middleton FPMI, Director of Policy and External Affairs, PMI
- Jonathan Stapleton , Editor, Professional Pensions
- Mark Adamson, Sales Director, ITM
- Sara Cook FPMI
Read the tips below:
- Remember you are writing an essay, not an article
- Make sure you read the question thoroughly and answer the question
- Tell a story in your answer: what you are going to say, what are you saying, and what have you said?
- Keep the background information to a minimum and don’t take too long to get to the relevant points. As a guide, the introduction should generally make up a maximum of 2 paragraphs
- Ensure you give a complete and detailed argument rather than a high-level overview
- Include enough evidenced examples throughout to support your point. If you cannot include enough detail of the example due to word count, you can include links to further information in the footnotes
- Ensure your examples are appropriate to the question
- Make your essay engaging and interesting to the reader
- Avoid using too many colloquialisms
- Be ruthless with your editing – it’s easiest to cut from the introduction if you are struggling with word count
- Ask someone to proofread your essay before submitting
- Check your facts!
Winner: James Turner, Senior Pensions Administrator, Quantum Advisory LLP. Read essay here.
Runner up: Sarah Meehan, Pensions Administrator, Capita. Read essay here.
Runner up: Pauline Kelleway, Technical Specialist, Money and Pensions Service. Read essay here.
Winner: Caitlin Watson, Support Professional Trustee, Spence & Partners Limited. Read essay here.
Runner up: Ieuan Solanki, Pensions Management Consultant, Barnett Waddingham LLP. Read essay here.
Runner up: James Turner, Quantum Advisory, Senior Pensions Administrator. Read essay here.
Winner: Katie Walker, Associate Consultant, Lane Clarke and Peacock LLP. Read essay here.
Runner up: Lucy James, Governance Assistant, Evolve Pensions Ltd. Read essay here.
Runner up: Zoya Alam, Paralegal apprentice, Squire Patton Boggs. Read essay here.
Winner: Jed Newton, Senior Pension Administrator, Willis Towers Watson. Read essay here.
Runner up: Claire Bryant, Associate Consultant, Lane Clark & Peacock LLP (LCP). Read essay here.
Runner up: Camilla O’Brien, Senior Pensions Administrator, XPS Pensions Group. Read essay here.
Winner: Molly McCarthy, Associate, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC). Read essay here.
Runner up: Jed Newton, Pensions Administrator, Willis Towers Watson. Read essay here.
Runner up: Camilla O’Brien, Pensions Administrator, XPS Pensions Group. Read essay here.
Winner: Jennifer Harrison, Analyst, Willis Towers Watson. Read essay here.
Runner up: Ben Picknett, Senior Consultant, Muse Advisory. Read essay here.
Runner up: Jed Newton, Pension Administrator, Willis Towers Watson. Read essay here.
Winner: Michelle Cracknell, Independent Pension Consultant here.
Runner up: Ben Picknett, Senior Consultant, Muse Advisory here.
Runner up : Jennifer Dean, Pensions Administrator, First Actuarial LLP here.
Winner: Ella Purkiss, LCP
Runner up: Jed Newton, Willis Towers Watson
Runner up: Richard Goldring, Smart Pension
Runner up: Peter Laurence, Trafalgar House
Last update: 5 December 2023
Salary: £25000 - £35000 pa
Location: London, hybrid working 2/3 days per week
Salary: £40000 - £50000 pa
Salary: £40000 - £60000 pa