There are a variety of options available for those seeking training courses and/or preparing for the APT examinations.
Training courses and the APT examinations
A number of providers run trustee training courses combined with sittings of the APT examinations.
If you run trustee training courses and would like to combine a course with a sitting of the APT examination please contact the Qualifications Department at email@example.com
Providers running courses combined with the APT examinations are listed in alphabetical order below.Capita Employee Benefits
Aon offers a range of training courses to enable Trustees to meet the requirements, and demonstrate they are 'taking control'. Whether you are a new Trustee getting to grips with your role and its requirements, or an experienced Trustee maintaining your knowledge to comply with regulatory requirements, our courses will give you an understanding of the key issues.
Our courses are designed to develop your knowledge of the areas identified in the Pensions Regulator's Trustee Knowledge and Understanding (TKU) Scope Guidance and are rooted firmly in the reality of day-to-day trusteeship.
Please follow the link below for the Aon Training Brochure.
Capita Employee Benefits is one of the leading employee benefits consultancies in the UK; a multi award-winning organisation serving over 1,600 clients and more than 4 million company employees and pension scheme members. We are part of Capita plc, a FTSE 100 company.
By listening and engaging closely with our clients we deliver carefully designed administration services and unrivalled consultancy solutions through our employee benefits specialists, using market leading, creative and innovative technology solutions.
We have a long established history of providing Trustees of pension schemes with training on all aspects of the operation of occupational pension schemes in order that they may undertake their duties effectively and with confidence.
The following courses are offered:
Introductory Trustee Training – A one day, introductory seminar giving an overview of legal responsibilities and dealing with actuarial, investment and administrative issues. This course is suitable for recently appointed trustees of defined benefit or defined contribution schemes and non-trustees who perhaps work on administration issues.
Focused Training for Trustees of Defined Benefit Schemes – A two-day seminar giving a detailed look at investment and funding issues for defined benefit schemes, essential in view of the major changes brought about by the Pension Act 2004. This course is designed for trustees (or anyone involved with running defined benefit schemes) who have a basic understanding but want to know more about developing an asset allocation strategy appropriate to a scheme’s liabilities and the trustees investment objectives and appetite for risk..
Although this course is designed to help trustees to meet The Pension Regulator’s expectations regarding funding and investment, because of the specific nature of some of the strategies that are covered, further bespoke training would be required before the full scope of The Pension Regulator’s requirements are met.
PMI Award in Pension Trusteeship – The Pensions Management Institute (PMI) Award in Pension Trusteeship (Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution) examination gives formal recognition of a trustee's knowledge and understanding of pension fundamentals.
This two-day training course is aimed specifically at trustees (and others) who wish to sit the PMI Award examination and covers the full (Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution) syllabus including:
Unit One – Law and Pensions overview
Unit Two – Investment and Funding issues
Unit Three – Scheme Management issues
We also aim to provide candidates with an understanding of the techniques associated with passing this examination.
For further details and to register yourself for a course, visit the trustee training page on the Capita Employee Benefits website. If you have any queries please contact Paul Tabrett on 0207 709 4864 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trustees of pension schemes are under more pressure than ever before. The level of knowledge required and the level of expectations have never been higher and they are increasing all the time. Trustees are required to understand the law relating to pensions and trusts and the principles of funding and investment. The Pensions Regulator also has high expectations, including encouraging trustees to obtain formal qualifications.
The Pensions Management Institute’s Award in Pension Trusteeship (APT) is the most widely recognised trustee qualification in the industry. It provides formal recognition of a trustee’s knowledge and understanding in line with the legal requirements. Our APT course is designed to help trustees achieve the APT qualification by taking you through the comprehensive syllabus.
Our APT course:
- is led by experienced pension lawyers who have delivered this course to trustees responsible for schemes in a wide range of organisations
- can be customised to meet the needs of your trustee board
- can be run over one or two days
- involves working through typical PMI exam questions
- includes a private exam sitting.
In our experience, the course works best when all, or most, members of a trustee board attend together, so that they learn as a group and share experience.
Alongside the APT course we also run the following additional training courses for trustees and pension professionals:
We can run this training in any of our UK offices (including London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff) or at your premises.
Call Eversheds’ training team: +44 (0)113 200 4040
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs has provided market leading trustee training since the early 1990s. All our experienced presenters are qualified pensions lawyers, and we place a real emphasis on interactive workshop exercises enabling delegates to put theory into practice. Whilst we can and do sometimes run open access, public courses, we tend to find that most trustee boards want to be trained together as a group. This helps the board develop together and builds team spirit.
The main courses we offer are:
- Introductory – A one day course looking at the context for current pensions issues, and covering the legal responsibilities and powers of trustees, the different kinds of schemes, the role of the actuary, the principles of investment, the role of the Regulator and the protection of members. Suitable for both defined benefit and defined contribution schemes, and ideal as a basic grounding for new trustees, or a refresher for those with more experience.
- Advanced - A one day course which focusses in more detail on the new regulatory regime governing schemes and trustees under the Pensions Acts 2004 and 2008, the tax regime under the Finance Act 2004 and subsequent legislation, and on the financial priorities for trustees - particularly funding and investment.
- PMI Award in Pension Trusteeship – A one or two day course (depending on delegates' diaries, time commitments and level of confidence) aimed specifically at those with some prior experience and wishing to sit the PMI Award in Pension Trusteeship examination. We aim to cover the PMI entire syllabus, using sample questions of the type used in PMI examinations to encourage interaction and discussion, and to bring out the underlying issues. The course includes a complete mock examination, and finishes with a private exam sitting supervised by a PMI invigilator. We have run this course for many years and have a success rate of around 98%.
- Bespoke - We can tailor a half or full day course around your particular requirements. Typical courses tend to cover Hot Topics and Scheme Conversance, but we respond to clients' needs.
Training can be delivered at our UK offices (London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds) or at your premises
Catherine McKenna, Global Head of Pensions, Squire Patton Boggs, 2 Park Lane, Leeds LS3 1ES
Email: email@example.com Telephone 0113 284 7045
Matthew Giles, Partner, Squire Patton Boggs, Rutland House, 148 Edmund Street, Birmingham B3 2JR
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone 0121 222 3296
Training providers list
PMI does not run trustee training courses neither does it recommend or endorse any particular training courses. The list of providers is assembled as an aid to those seeking training for trustees. Providers who would like to be included are invited to send their details to email@example.com .
Click here to download a copy.
PMI Trustee Seminars
These seminars can be useful for trustees. Further details can be found here
We provide a list which contains several items which will be of assistance to those preparing for these examinations. Click here for full details.
PMI Members are entitled to a 15% discount on The Guide for Pension Trustees which is one item of core reading on the list.
To qualify for the discount add GPTPMI at the checkout.
The Pensions Regulator has developed an e-learning programme to meet their Trustee Knowledge and Understanding (TKU) requirements. For more information about the Trustee Toolkit please click here.